Although only two stories now, this building was originally five stories tall and had the city’s first marble front. Early tenants included The Evening Herald newspaper and the Southern Shorthand and Business College. In 1895 the building operated as the South Broad Street Hotel with a capacity of 225 guests. Following a fire in 1937, the upper three floors were removed and the building was remodeled. Later tenants included furniture companies, a jewelry store, and supermarkets. Miller’s Rexall has been serving customers here since 1965.